Today is the International Day of the Ag Producer! Every single day, somewhere in the United States and the rest of the world, farmers get up and goes to work to produce food for the rest of the world. Their hours are long, the work is tedious, and sometimes people can be incredibly uninformed and ungrateful.
Did you know?
- 97% of all farms are family owned.
- Two times more food is produced by today’s farmer than their parents did using less land, energy, water and few emissions.
- The average age of today’s farmer: 55.3 years.
- 1 in 3 US farm acres are planted for export.
- 15% of US corn acres are irrigated.
- Today’s average corn yield per acre= 154.
- 155 people are fed by a single American farmer.
- 2/3 of all cattle operations have been in the same family for at least two generations.
- 90 loaves of bread can be made from one bushel of wheat.
- 8 tons of carbon dioxide are removed from the air by one acre of corn during a season.
- 40% of the world’s corn is grown by US Farmers.
- 21 millions American workers produce, process and sell the nation’s food and fiber.
Happy International Day of the Ag Producer! When you sit down tonight to eat your dinner, thank a farmer!